Tuesday, October 14, 2008


This last week Pip hasn’t been well. It started with him not finishing breakfast, which if you know Pip, is certainly unusual. He’s like my little Electrolux, sucking up all the hay he can get his lips on. But not on Thursday, he was looking like he just felt dumpy; he just sort of moped around. However by about 3 that afternoon he seemed to be feeling fine. I didn’t think it was colic, he didn’t have that internalizing look to him, and he didn’t mind me touching his belly, and had motility sounds. I decided to wait a day. The next day, also blah, so I called the vet. Based on my explanation and his elevated temperature, she said he probably had a viral infection, and to keep him cool, and give him banamine (horse aspirin, basically). So I did. She also told me that it would probably take about 4-5 days to pass, and he should be back to normal. Ok, no problem.

Also, as a tip to bring down body temperature, put an alcohol soaked towel on a horse’s back. Worked a treat! I used isopropyl, not vodka, BTW.

Alright, back to Pip. So yesterday the farrier was out, and there’s Pip in the crossties, and he’s drooling like you would not believe, like right down to the ground. So after the farrier leaves, I call the vet, because now I can see that Pip’s neck and lymph nodes under his jaw are totally hard and swollen. He’s eating and drinking, but certainly it’s not comfortable. I also put up some panels so that the other horses can’t come close to him, as this may be strangles! Crapo.
The vet is coming out in about an hour, so I’ll keep you posted what happens. We will probably put hot presses on him to get the abscess to burst on its own. They are also going to do a throat culture to see what’s growing, but I’m guessing he’ll go on antibiotics as well. Damn.

No comments: