Friday, April 10, 2009

Galloping PIp


The last two weeks we've worked on speed. As in, as much and as long as Pip could go. He hasn't quite figured out that speeding around the arena isn't going to get him anything, and today he learned that it in fact gets him a lot more work. Many many more trips around the arena. With me egging him on when he's feeling slower. Silly Pip.

Last week was our first time doing this. We did one lap, and he stopped by the gate, arching his neck, flinging his feet out in front of him. Apparently looking like he was trying to do the Spanish Walk, according to my friend who was watching. The great thing is, when he does that, he just feels great to ride, he's collected, under me, very there. Sadly I urged him on to gallop more, and rode him through the fits, until he really softened and gave me his attention and didn't fling around.

The great thing is, I felt like he was actually cantering towards the end, not just deer bounding. And he picks up his leads amazingly well. That was wonderful. I think the key for him is going to be cantering first, then working on the trot and finess, because he has so much go, and even if he is lounged, he has a lot to give when I first get on him. So I think I'll break the rules I was taught, and just lot him take the edge off at the canter first.

So today we rode to the big arena a few miles from the barn. We mainly walked there, some trotting through the bosque, Pip leading (he did well, even though the others hung back a bit so they could canter) He didn't break his stride hearing the others coming up behind him, it was great.

To get to the arena, we had to walk past a skate park, filled with kids skating, biking, just hangin' out. Pip did all right, he was concerned, but held it together. In the arena, we just motored around and around and around and around. He has an amazing ability to change direction, and almost lost me a few times as we cantered past Amanda going the other way, and Pip tried to follow him. At the canter. But I stayed on, and he did a little lead change, and we kept going. Eventually Pip slowed down, and started listening to me the whole time, rather than just when I got in his face. It was good. His canter (hand gallop?) is still pretty deer-like and boundy, but I think a few more workouts til he's tired will help him start suing his back end more. I hope. Or I will just have to learn how to ride a deer.

No comments: