Monday, February 23, 2009

Break on through....

This weekend was a three day Pip fest. Which I think he enjoyed.

Friday was arena and trail work, where I learned just how to get him to slow down and to get him relaxed and lifting his back.

Saturday was arena riding where we worked on Friday’s lessons, tempo and relaxation.

Sunday was a two hour trail ride (mostly at the walk) and I was amazed at how relaxed and happy he was. The reason it was mostly at the walk was because another rider, Susan, brought her 5 year old grandson, and ponied him. So in the interests of not having an accident, we walked. Susan rode Fiona and Caleb (her grandson) rode Sundance. Amanda on Tango and Pip and I rode behind them, as Sundance can get antsy if he’s following or being passed.

Normally Pip HAS to be first. It’s like a compulsion. He always passes everyone. Happily he is also brave enough to lead everyone as well, unlike Eli who would have to be out front, then when he was there, he would spook at everything. But yesterday he was perfectly happy to just trail along, a couple lengths behind the leaders, back with Tango. Tango is a Walking horse, but actually has a rather slow “regular” walk. His flat walk and running walk are fantastic and incredibly fast. Pip was relaxed, trotted up in tempo, I even got some nice jog steps out of him. And the highlight was me going off on my own into the trees while the other stayed up on the bank so I could get some alone on the trail time with Pipper. He did really well. He was anxious, kept making a sort of squealy-grunt, but he kept going, a nice forward trot. I didn’t let him get too fast, because I know he sometimes gets stupider the faster he goes. And he came right down to a slower tempo when I asked him to do so. He was really great. I’m definitely going to be going out alone more. I don’t usually go out alone because he’s been a total pill. He won’t rear or buck, just plant and refuse to go forward. But I think now we’re at a place where we can go alone. There’s a little mile loop, through the Bosque, across the creek, and back on the wide ditch that we’ll start doing.

I also know that I need to be riding more often, 3 days a week seems like a minimum, but until the time/light change, I may be limited to that!

No comments: