Saturday, February 28, 2009

Woot!

Ok, today I learned two really important things:
1. Pip is a great horse (yeah, I know, I'm saying that) and I think he'll be a wonderful "babysitter" one day, and;
2. I'm an embarrassing owner, which I need to note so I know when kids are embarrassed by nme, it's not JUST because they're related, I really AM that sort of person.

First, the bad news. I rode Pip bareback today. This in and of itself isn't bad, of course. The events surrounding it were. First, I had to get up on his back. This involved me jumping (rather half-heartedly) from the mounting block to his back. The mounting block isn't high enough for me to just swing a leg over, I have to actually leap up, and lie over his back, then swing my leg over and sit up. It only took about 4 tries. During this time, Pip gave Amanda C. a look of pure, unadulterated horror. BUT! I got up! hooray!
And we even trotted a bit, mostly walked around, since I have *round* thighs (tho I have lost 10 lbs since Jan!) and I was not so steady.
Then, to add insult to injury, I got off and tried to swing up as I had done so easily as a kid. Yeah, that didn't work so good. I did get my leg over him, but there's like no power in the arms, torso, inner thigh and wherever else it's needed to get scrambling. So now I have a new goal! Be able to swing (or jump) up on Pip by the end of the summer. Amanda C. is great, she is just plain impressed that I can actually get my foot onto Pip's back at all, much less dream of mounting that way. However! I will regain this ability!

Ok, the good news: (I know you are all holding your breath!) While I was bareback, we trotted, but once Pip figured out that I was bobbly, he just plain would not trot. I finally got him to do it by holding his mane and really pushing him forward, but I can tell when he's really a made horse, he's gonig to be one of those "oh, sorry, you're not educated enough to canter, let's just walk" sort of horses. IN other words, worth his weight in gold! woo!

Every day I'm just discovering why I have the bestest horse ever!

No comments: